Sunday, August 27, 2006

Musical Monday #2 - Local Girl

Keeping with my Canadian strategy for Musical Monday, I thought I would feature a Calgarian for my second post.

Leslie Feist, or just Feist as she is more widly known, got her musical start playing in a high school punk band, winning an opening spot for The Ramones in a 'battle of the bands' competition. I'm not a biographer, so if you want to know the whole story of how Feist went from not being able to sing to becoming one of the most well known Canadain singers today go here or to her website. Here is a point form list as I know it... In the window between her high school band opening for The Ramones in the early 90s and now, Feist has played with By Devine Right (who toured with The Tragically Hip), and Broken Social Scene, she lived with Peaches, has been featured vocally on Appostle of Hustle, Kings of Convenience, and Jane Birkin recordings . . . oh, and has released two albums Let It Die and and a remixes and Collaberative album Open Season. Busy girl!

I should maybe mention that I'm not a big fan of Feist's work as a general rule . . . then why the heck am I featuring her you might ask? Well, because the colabs and remixs are outstanding! Which is the album that today's song comes from. The liner notes include this little anecdote on the remix of Lonely Lonely:


Then, a few months into touring the album, someone in London frisbee'd an unmarked CD onto the stage. Later in my hotel, I listened to it as a pre-sleep nightcap. It was so bizarre and exciting to hear a song that we had so carefully dressed, be undressed and re-addressd, and put into clothes it would have never thought to wear on its own.

So, connecting little ol' me in Calgary, to Musical Monday's creator on London - Feist's Lonely Lonely [frisbee'd mix] from Open Season!


Powered by Castpost


*EDIT 7:12 am* - It seems that track just isn't going to play..at all...for whatever reason. So instead here is track 4 from the same album Gatekeeper [One Room One Hour mix]. There's no cute annecdote in the liner notes about this one, so I'll just let you have a listen and see for yourself...

Happy Monday all!



Powered by Castpost

*EDIT 6:52pm 9:02pm* I GOT IT!!! Okay, because I love you people so darn much (and it was really bugging me that I couldn't get the darn song to work), I have found an alternate means of bringing you the song I had originally wanted to post. This guy claims to be the source of the frisbee'd disk. He has this to say about this version...
See 'Open Season' by Feist for my remix of Lonely Lonely. But bear in mind that due to an error made in mastering, the remix is slower and lower in pitch than it should be.

I honestly prefer the mix on Open Season at about 90% this speed, but this gives a good feel for the track!

Powered by Castpost
Frisbeemusic myspace version


Powered by Castpost
Open Season version...takes a while to load, and I'll completely understand if you don't wait seems to be ok now?...I just had to figure it out for myself mostly!

5 comment:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have great taste in music doll. I always find something interesting when I pop by. (which I will be doing more frequenly now that class is over. LOL) Have a great on babe.
TG

Mon Aug 28, 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger The Melody Censor said...

Thanks Tommy! I think I have good taste (obviously), but it's always nice to hear that someone agrees with me!

Mon Aug 28, 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Lovin' these tunes & the fact that they're Canadian.

I have a feeling I'd be quite at home in your music library.

Mon Aug 28, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger WDKY said...

Wow - you're pertsistent... but have a look at www.filelodge.bolt.com!

Happy MM, by the way :-)

Tue Aug 29, 02:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love, Love, LOVE the new header. You have gorgeous eyes babe.
TG

Tue Aug 29, 11:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home