Monday, July 25, 2005

Calgary Folk Festival 2005 - Butts Wigglin'

This past weekend was one of my most anticipated events in the city of Calgary...FOLK FESTIVAL. Time for my inner dirty hippy to be released and allowed to run free!!!! As always, I had an incredible time, but I was surprised looking back on it today at what I had selected as my biggest highlight of the weekend. Consistant with the past 2 years, I prefered the side stage work shops to the mainstages shows (Ani Difranco from 2003 excluded), but it was the hip hop workshop on Saturday that stands out most in my mind. The performers included Arrested Development, Buck 65, and K'naan. Going in I had heard of Arrested Development (who didn't love Mr. Wenddle in high school?) and Buck 65, but K'naan was a mystery to me. His story is quite remarkable... I won't even attempt to recap it here, he left his war torn home in Mogadishu on the very last commercial flight ot leave Somalia, if you want to know more, look it up! I have never really listened to much Hip Hop music, but hearing the message and the power behind the words of these men who are so very different I couldn't help but be inspired...and the drum beats, oh the drum beats. I can't help it, I just have to shake my ass to the drum beats!!!





Originally posted at: Twisted Ramblings From The Mouse That Runs The Brain

Comments:
Love the picture, cutie!
July 27 7:37 AM

Published by: Joel

0 comment:

Post a Comment

<< Home