Monday, September 25, 2006

Musical Monday #6 - brooding disposition



Powered by Castpost
Artist: Elliott BROOD
Album: Ambassador (Track #3 - Second Son)
Label: Six Shooter Records
Released: October 4, 2005

I love the banjo as some of you well know. I guess it fits in with what a friend recently described as a strong folk roots to my musical tastes. But I also like it loud, and dark, and well...brooding!

Elliott BROOD's music has been described as death country and blackgrass, labels which could not be more appropriate for the traditional folk blended with dark lyrics and a hard modern edge
"dark, gritty folk music built around whiskey-drenched vocals and lyrics
evoking images of love, loss and murder. In their soul-thumping bluegrass songs,
banjo keeps time to a strange and chunky angular stomp, with vicious
Kentucky-hardcore acoustic guitar and somber, achingly confessional vocal
harmonies."
~weework records

I discovered Elliott BROOD this July at the Calgary Folk Music Festival and was immediately captivated. I saw them again a few weeks ago at Waynefest, and both shows completely blew me away. They will be in Calgary again in mid October opening for Corbb Lund, I will be there. If you ever get the chance...see them live!

0 comment:

Post a Comment

<< Home