Saturday, July 22, 2006

Review: Vince Vaccaro - EP

As you may know, this CD was sent to me by the lovely Lori in Victoria. She is one of the few people that stop by here that I actually know in the real world...Anyway, as promised, I have sat down, and seriously listened to it. It took me some time (the first try my nerve were a little rattled, the second I ended up falling asleep on the couch), but I have focused and can now say...it's good!

Pretty vague huh? Well I could go into great deatil about the music, the recording, the lyric and vocal delivery, but you might all think I'm a bit of a music snob. Who am I kidding? I am a music snob! Just wanted to warn you...

The 6 song EP opens strong with somewhat driving build up to a light, up beat strumming guitar and easy vocals of Heart & Hands - easily the most listenable track on the CD.

The second track, Come On, is my favorite of the 7 tracks I've heard (bonus track available on the artist's myspace). A drum and harmonica introduction into a catchy stroll down the artist own memory lane. A personal message to a person in his past that can easily be translated into anyone's persoanl experiences. Complete with a reflective pause in the bridge before the song picks up pace again. A bit formulaic, but why fight it if it works?

I find the track order a bit conflicting however, the fun and up beat rhythms of the first 2 tracks take a sharp left turn to the more somber Jonathon Livingston (the artist's favorite song it would seem...see comments for "Vince's" thoughts). Still musically sound, and following great Canadian music composing styles (introduction, verse-corus, bridge etc. - telling a story), I find it a little blah in comparison to the rest of the album. And easily forgivable live I'm sure, because as Lori mentioned in her enclosed postcard, he is a beautiful example of the masculin form - shameless, I know!

The following tracks pick up the casual light rock style, and we're back on the main road for the rest of the short journey. The crisp vocal delivery and raw quality in his voice are reminiscent of fellow Canadian Sam Roberts (Vince has opened for Sam Roberts it seems I was misinformed...), and the recording is clean and of surprising quality for a debut 6 song EP.

The closing track, My Angels (Lori's favorite), is a down tempo accoustic number that I can only imagine would be phenominal played live in an intimate setting. It demonstrate this young mans great vocal control (I have trouble reaching that note myself!), and is a clear example of his passion for music.

Over all, the EP is good, and a welcome addition to my collection of stripped down Canadian folk rock. I can't wait to hear more from the Montreal native who now calls Victoria home.

And in true Lori fashion, I have purchased 2 additional copies of this great debut. One will be going to my brother to forward on L's best wishes, and the second will go out to someone. I thought of coming up with some sort of contest, but couln't think of anything and wasn't convinced there would be many participants...so if I have more than one person interested it will be a random selection (drawn from a hat likely), so to let me know if you're interested leave me a comment or send me an email before the end of the month.

3 comment:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan!! Glad you enjoyed it. I totally agree about Jonathan livingston haha.

Mon Jul 24, 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger 212degreedesigns said...

i wanna hear!!!!!!!!!!
lol

Tue Jul 25, 07:33:00 PM  
Blogger The Melody Censor said...

I stand corrected it would seem...

Thu Oct 05, 06:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home