Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Concert review ... by request!

Yes, it's true...I promised a review of the Death Cab for Cutie / Franz Ferdinand show...and until I was reminded about it Monday night (this one's for you NR), I neglected to follow through on that promise. FOR SHAME! So, take a trip back in time with me if you will...



April 26...Death Cab For Cutie / Franz Ferdinand concert

I had been anxiously anticipating this show since I got tickets back in mid February, and I was not disappointed!




The crowd was young, very young, which Mr. J commented on a number of times through out the evening. Something about turning 20/10 has made him more aware of the age demographic of any given environment...

It seemed that many of the young ones were there for the opening act - The Cribs - whom I had thought I knew nothing of, but turns out I was familiar with a few of their songs (thanks in part to Telus for their latest t.v. advert). For the most part, the short opening set was completely indecipherable - a combination of low end sound equipment in a rather large venue, combined with what I am assuming is inexperience (I could be wrong on this one - as I said, I know virtually nothing about this band). Despite the abysmal musical performance, the crowd lapped up every second with pure teenage enthusiasm. Which was quite catching to be honest, so as far as warm acts go, The Cribs performed magnificently!




Second to take the stage was my newly named 'favorite' band (pardon me while I have a little 'high school' moment won't you?), Death Cab For Cutie. This was the moment I had been anticipating for weeks. And I was not let down! The stage lights gradually came on to reveal two oblique white houses - one on either side of the stage with a "forest" spanning the distance between as the backdrop. The effects achieved through coloured light were truly captivating, and helped to elevate the experience further.

The years these four men have spent playing together have brought the live show to a level most bands can only aspire to. The music was flawless and inspired, the set list a veritable cornucopia of hits spanning heir entire catalogue, and the appreciation commanded by the audience was almost spiritual. From the moment the house lights dimmed before they took the stage, to the painful moment they came back on signifying the end of their set, I sat perched on the edge of my molded plastic stadium chair with a silly grim plastered to my face.


Last up...Franz Ferdinand. It seems their slot as last to play fit in quite well with their philosophy of louder is better. If they had taken the stage before Death Cab nobody would have hear a thing. Apparently the beatles-esque sound of their second album was not a mere coincidence or influence gone awry..no it was simple case of imitation is the purest form of flattery...I think. From the pencil legged trousers, to the white catwalk stage configuration, to the crowd of screaming teenagers (did she just scream 'I love you Ringo'?) I felt like we had time warped back to an earlier British Invasion to the days of Sgt. Pepper (not that I really know what that was lie except for pop culture references and re-runs of Ed Sullivan). I'm not a big Beatles fan, so needless to say, I didn't much enjoy Franz' second album (it has grown on me, but from the first listen I was let down). Tha said, the show was good. Apart from when singer Alex Kapranos gave up trying to sing at the volume of the music and started screaming the lyrics into the mic (about 2 1/2 songs in if I recall correctly), there was enough going on in the set to whip any crowd into an uncontrollable frenzy. Despite the light show ("This fire [will burn your retinas]"), and the screaming decibel level, there was certainly enough to keep everyone entertained (well almost everyone - Mr. J was sleeping by the end of the show). Perhaps the most entertaining juvenile act was the 5 man drum solo (3 on kit - the same kit) and 2 off to the side.
By the end of the night I had sore cheeks (thanks DCFC for the perma-grin) and a slightly unhealthy dose of toneitis. But how was the show NR asked - un-f**king believable!!!

0 comment:

Post a Comment

<< Home