Wednesday, August 09, 2006

In a city facing two problems, the destruction of nine homes doesn't sit well with me...

Calgary is a young city.

Younger than its 112 year status as a city would have anyone believe. Why is that? Well, in part it is due to the destruction of virtually every building over a certain age in the city. And the street a block from my office is to be no exception to that fact.

9 more pages of the history book soon to be gone forever


Nine houses, built when this fair city was just a mere 30 something (my Architect co-workers guessed 1920-30 for the date of these homes), have run their corse as dwelling units and are being asked to step aside gracefully to make way for a higher occupant load condominium unit. This is an ever growing trend in Calgary, because a suprisingly low percentage of the population lives downtown, while a somewhat large population works there every day. And, although I knew this was to happen - I even looked into buying one of the units for myself - walking past the construction fence this afternoon made my heart sink lower than than shallow foundations of those very doomed houses.


oh, and expect more on this...it seems to have struck a chord

2 comment:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can sympathise (although i cant spell)when the "regime" changed in SA some 12-16 years ago they started removing parts of jo'burgs history and continue to this day pulling down 100 year old buildings as if to covered up and hide a shameful past...although on paper to make room for the 2010 world cup. to me old buildings are like books and we know what comes of book burning... very long blog comments and no cheese for one thing.

Wed Aug 09, 01:22:00 PM  
Blogger lecram sinun said...

Yeah, I too rail against that when it happens here. Then one morning folks wake up and wonder why the city lacks character. Sometimes I just want to yell, "You bulldozed it last week, you idiots!"

Wed Aug 09, 04:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home