Sunday, August 20, 2006

Musical Monday - The first

The time has come, the Walrus said... for me to join WDKY's Musical Monday.

Although I have been a regular follower for a while, I have been reluctant to join into the musical show & tell myself, and I'm not entirely sure why...so, now is the time!

The past couple of weeks have found me busily going through hundreds of tracks, looking for just the right combination to accurately portray the state of music in Canada (here's why). I have decided if I am to participate in this wonderful music sharing venture, then I will continue in this vein, and bring the spotlight to Canadian musicians. And to start, the band that is easily (in my opinion) the hottest thing going in Canada right now - Wolf Parade.

Originally based in Victoria, Wolf Parade make their home in Montreal now, a city synonymous with indie music in Canada, nay, North America. Signed in 2005 to the infamous SUBPOP label by Modest Mouse front man Isaac Brock, Wolf Parade have a full length and a EP available (as well as a couple of less available independent releases), and are supposedly working on their second full length. I recently (last Wednesday!) missed the opportunity to see them live (6 blocks from my apartment), and have not quite fully recuperated from that devastating blow...

This foursome is often grouped in with Modest Mouse and fellow Canadians The Arcade Fire, but unlike these groups whose music is often difficult to listen to and are (in my opinion) highly overrated, Wolf Parade's raw energy has afforded their debut Apologies to the Queen Mary a spot in my regular music rotation.

So, with out anymore of my droning on and on...track #2 Modern World


Powered by Castpost
hmmm...having some issues with audioblog...castpost it is I guess

1 comment:

Blogger WDKY said...

Well, first of all I'm really pleased that you're joing in - that's brilliant Susan, and thanks! Secondly, I love your MM "strategy" - and this is a great track too.

Roll on next week :-)

Tue Aug 22, 01:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home